Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No longer counted in the unemployment rate!

That's right! Alan has a job!

After four weeks of living here to the day and three weeks of interviewing I am now a clinical social worker on the inpatient psychiatric unit at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx. Its quite the train ride from Brooklyn...but that is beside the point.

I will be responsible for intake procedures, diagnosis (of mental illness), psycho education (educating patients and their families about the illness their loved one has and the medication they will be taking) and discharge procedures. A couple great things about this position is that it provides clinical supervision that will help me get my clinical license down the road. I will also be a part of the 1199 union, which is a union for service professionals. I'm not sure how many of you belong to a union but they have PHENOMINAL benefits!

I am looking forward to finally being able to use my education (which has been 8 years in the making!) and providing others with opportunities to improve their quality of life while living with a mental illness.

I was born to do this work I can proudly say that I am in a line of work that both pays the bills and makes me happy.

Brooke has been so patient and supportive concerning my job hunt. I have to apologize to her (along with Chad and Nicci) for my increased level of irritability during my search. I also Thank those of you who supported me through prayer in my job hunt!

Love you all!

Alan and Brooke.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Remember your mom when you get rich! Ha Ha!
Congrats!
Luv ya! - Mom :)

marcy said...

I am sooooo proud of you Alan! ALthough I am not surprised that your job search did not take too long. YOu have so many strengths! Way to go!!
I also love hearing about the NYC culture adjustment. Keep that MN nice thing going. Maybe you can teach them a thing or two!!!

Marcy

Kathy said...

I have always seen you as successful in life Alan. You have your beautiful wife Brooke and a precious dog Sarge. Now you have the job you worked so hard for. To me, you and your family are the perfect picture of life. And you really derserve it! Congratulations Alan, awesome job!

Kathy

andilively said...

CONGRATS ALAN!!! that sounds like a great job- just right for ya! Post MORE PICTURES!!! I wanna see your place and your neighborhood etc. all the NYC stuff I can't see in lame MN...hope you're havin fun!!!