Sunday, March 22, 2009

Random Update

Good day all!

It's now spring time, the temps are warming and everyone seems a little more positive. Maybe it's just New York. We had a random 75 degree Saturday followed by 65 degree Sunday a week or two ago, it was nuts. Sgt. Pepper does not like to be walked in any temp below 35 degrees so this winter was a little hard on him. He would spite us for making him walk in the cold weather by not taking him "number two" some days and come home to find that he would have a treat waiting for us in the middle of the living room floor. Just a reminder from him letting us know how much he hates being walked in the cold.

Brooke is about to start her 6th and last week of her into classes at Carsten. You can read more about her time there by clicking on the link in the post below this one. She is loving it and building on her natural talent to do hair. Though I have been slightly more lonely since she started as I don't see her until after 10pm every Monday-Friday due to her classes. I look at it as we are paying out dues.

Work is also going fine for me. I had been submitting resumes and cover letters to numerous different places in the last 6 months to see is I could find new work in an out patient mental health clinic but as you all know the job market is bone dry and there is no room to be picky. I have had numerous interviews with multiple employers who have either pass over me after the interview or offered me the position only to find that they could not meet my pay requirements. I am in a very secure position right now being in the 1199 SEIU Union. Unions are a blessing and a curse. For example I have 4 weeks paid vacation to start, I can bank up to around 190 hours of sick time, 40 hours of personal time and other benefits. I pay a Union due of $70 a month and don't have to pay additional for health benefits. I don't pay any deductible for any service including medical treatment, mental health, eye care, or dental care. I also don't pay a single penny out of pocket for prescription meds. The benefits are unheard of. I also have what averages out to be a 6% pay increase every year because I work under contract. So, I was only going to take another job provided it was worth the move. So until the economy starts springing back I will be happy simply to have a job.

I hope all of you are doing well. We miss you all! I will try to have something slightly more entertaining here for you soon.

Love,
Alan and Brooke

3 comments:

NYC Therapy said...

More entertaining... like another letter from Sgt? I miss his soaring prose!

Nicci said...

hmm not why that said i was commenting as alan and brooke in nyc... this is nicci dangit. :)

Unknown said...

With benefits like that, why would you even think of looking for another job?